Friday, December 9, 2022

Day 294: Phone it in

I feel like there's a very subtle line between flakiness and doing what you need to take care of yourself.

I caught a glimpse of an article title that I think was called, "We Don't Know How To Phone It In." The blurb below indicating this was a quote from a band member of the Foo Fighters.

It immediately resonated with me.

This is definitely something I struggle with and am trying to improve at.

Though, I suppose I should specify that to me, 'phoning it in,' means pulling back, allowing imperfection, and being ok with shifting your priorities.

*Full disclosure - I didn't actually read the article, so the intended meaning could have been entirely different. But interpretation is an individual thing, so I'll continue!

Phoning it in is important - though my initial understanding of it came with a negative connotation.

It can be seen as a negative thing when phoning it in means you won't meet someone else's expectations (or your own).

But it can be seen as a positive thing when phoning it in means you recognize your own needs.

This is where I think the struggle really lies.
It's not about breaking your word or not following through.
It's about having a clear sense of your bandwidth and what you realistically can do given the energy you're working with.

How many times have you over committed to things?
I know I have.

And how many times have you felt bad because you had to break plans or your work suffered or you couldn't be fully present with the people you care about?

This happens to a LOT of people.
And believe it or not, it doesn't mean anything about the type of person that they are. It just shows that they are struggling to identify and prioritize their own needs.

So yeah, I would agree with the former 1/6 of the Foo Fighters - we don't know how.
But this doesn't mean we can't learn.

I feel compelled to go into how one would learn to 'phone it in'  - or rather - avoid phoning it in by identifying and then prioritizing their own needs. But I think I'll save that for a different day. 

In the meantime, maybe this will be of interest.
Or this.
Or possibly even this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.