Friday, December 23, 2022

Day 308: Getting Up

Sometimes getting up in the morning can be tough.

You may find, like me, thinking about the day or activities ahead of you isn't enough to spring you out of bed. (Especially if it means nonstop play and  interaction with little humans who love having you around and also have way more energy than you.)

This is common with activities we may prefer to avoid or put off. But it can also occur on days that we know will include enjoyed activities as well.

So what gives?

I don't know exactly, but I'm coming to find that thinking about how we feel in the moment - when thoughts are starting to churn, but eyes are still closed - might be the place to start. Focusing on the moment at hand, rather than thinking about all of the possible things we have ahead of us in the day.

For me, this can start with first realizing that I'm no longer sleeping - no matter how good it feels to keep my eyes closed.

Then thinking about what's going on in my body-
Am I thirsty?
Do I have to go pee?
Oh, I do have to pee but I'm not ready to be spotted as 'up' and playing with kids yet? . . . Maybe I can hold it for a bit . . .

I'll also think about how I slept.
When visiting my sister and her family, I tend to sleep like a log - who knew dark and quiet were key ingredients to great sleep?!

From there it really comes down to choice and intention (along with prevailing calls of nature). That means deciding what type of day I want to have.

Not so much in a "I want to have the best day possible where nothing bothers me or brings me down," sort of way. But more of a 'this is the perspective I want to experience the day with,' sort of way.

This is easier said than done, but with practice it gets easier and easier.

Give it a try!

What changes in your day when you decide how you want to experience whatever comes your way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.