Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Day 292: Moral beliefs vs. Legal rule

I was listening to a podcast episode of Start Here by ABC News, yesterday morning, and the first story really jumped out at me.

Maybe you know the news story I'm talking about - the Supreme Court case about same-sex marriage and the website designer from Colorado? 
 
This individual claims her first amendment rights are being impinged upon by a Colorado state ruling that prohibits businesses from declining services to customers with whom they disapprove of their lifestyle choices.

She feels that because of this law she is being forced to utter an endorsement by creating a website for a same-sex couple that is compelling her to speak something she does not believe in. Thus, violating her First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

It's fair that she has strong beliefs and she wants to be able to uphold them in her work, as website creation is, "her creative canvas." And in that creation, she is using her artistic voice - which is protected by the First Amendment. 
 
However, the real issue is not her endorsement by taking on the job. It's her concern about the perception of others by her taking on the job. As well as her perception of herself.

At least that's my opinion. 
And based on that opinion my first thought was, "get this woman some coaching!"

It seems pretty clear to me that if a person has strong convictions and a strong sense of self, they are much less likely to be concerned about the thoughts and interpretations of others. 
 
They know that their beliefs are theirs. 
And the beliefs of others do not impinge upon them. 
The beliefs of others do not threaten their own. 
 
No one can make you believe something else. So the fact that she is so concerned about what her actions might "convey" to others, indicates to me that this woman has some figuring out to do in her relationship with herself.

I can only speak for myself, but I know that for me, getting to know myself better has increased my self-confidence, security, and conviction in the values and beliefs that I hold close to me. 
 
As a result of this, I don't feel challenged or threatened by differing opinions and points of view from others. At least for the most part - this is still very much a work in progress.

Another thought for this website creator is a bit more basic. 
Why not make your ideal target market much more clear on all of your promotions? 
List on your website that you work best with same-sex couples - and maybe even air out your personal beliefs. That in itself will remove any issues similar to this one from ever happening again. 
 
Because you know what? 
Same-sex couples are not going to want to work with you. 
Problem solved!

The fact that something of this nature made it all the way to the Supreme Court of the country is a little bit ridiculous to me. 
 
I get it at a glance, but when looked at more closely to understand what's really happening, a very different resolution comes into focus. 
 
And that is doing the internal, personal development needed to make the people involved feel secure in themselves and thus, in their work at large.
 
Personal development might not be easier than going through a court case (I have no idea - I'm sure it depends on the person and also the case), but it is certainly longer lasting and much more beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.