Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Day 291: Exploring the tools

I touch a lot on the idea of perspective, as it is the foundation through which we experience all of life.

But I haven't explored much the tools that can be used to identify and navigate different perspectives available to oneself. 

A big reason for this is I'm not super well versed with the tools. I'm still growing my understanding of them, myself.

Yet, as the purpose of this blog was to develop a deeper understanding of various ideas and concepts now available to me through coaching, it seems the perfect use of this post to explore perspective tools together. 

Because what's life if you don't share it?! Am I right? 
I'm still working on that one, too...

The tool I am learning about - and referring to - is called the Energy Leadership Index Assessment (ELI). I can't say I love the name, but I do love the premise. 
 
This is an assessment that was created by my coach training program, iPEC. It takes a snapshot of one's current, and unique, mixture of energy and how that influences their perspectives, actions, and overall experience and satisfaction in life.

The ELI illustrates a clear connection between emotions we experience as humans, the attitudes, thoughts, and perspectives we have towards different things, and how they work together to either help us in our endeavors or make it harder for ourselves.

The idea sounds great, but the name really throws me off. At least it used to when I was first learning about the assessment. I recall being less than excited about spending a whole training weekend learning about the ELI. 
 
At the time, it didn't seem to live up to the hype. 
Now, however, as I am understanding it more over time, I think I might have an idea of why the excitement and hype for it was there. It's pretty cool to be able to pinpoint specific thoughts, actions, and feelings I have/experience in specific areas of life - and also know that I can change all of them. 
If I want to. 
And not just change them blindly, but the ELI gives a framework to know exactly how to go about making changes, should I choose.

As one who loves details, the ELI assessment is all about the details! 
It reflects the reality that as humans, we are constantly changing. Therefore, our ELI assessment results - the energy levels we use and how we use them - are also always changing. 

This is actually a really cool resource that we can use to measure our own personal development and change. Honestly, it could even be used to measure our level of happiness and satisfaction at any given time. 

Unlike personality tests that just tell you 'this is who you are this is how to work with it,' this is an attitudinal assessment. The ELI shows us 'this is how you're showing up right now and if you want to change it in any direction here are some ideas for you.

Again, humans are not static. 
We are constantly changing.

Why?

Because we are always having new experiences.

Now, that doesn't mean brand new, completely foreign experiences that we've never heard of or seen before.

No, it means everyday we wake up, and it's a new day. 
We don't know what's going to happen and that alone makes it a new experience.

So, this tool that I am working on understanding more, could really be seen as a way to help us get even more out of life - in whatever way we choose. 

And I suppose that's the real beauty of it, because it's a 'choose your own adventure' type of thing. 

Nobody is telling you you are 'X' [label] or you fit into 'Y' box. 
We get to choose who we are and what we want and how we experience life. And this is a tool that can help us do so much more easily.

And the best part is, it will all happen on our own timelines! 
Maybe you want to get going right away and are ready to take action. Or maybe, you're more like me when I first learned about coaching, and need to let the information marinate in the back of your brain for 3.5 years before taking a step towards exploring it and changing your life.

Regardless of the timeline or specific actions taken, tools are tools.
They are available to help us whenever we need them.
And I'm excited to add and sharpen this tool for my own toolbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.