Saturday, December 17, 2022

Day 302: American Dream

I used to think that the American Dream was more of a pipe dream.

Something that was nice to imagine, but virtually impossible to achieve - at least for most people.

Perhaps part of why I had a hard time buying into the idea was because I'm not particularly patriotic. And my reality certainly isn't dream-like.

But then I realized, I barely even allowed myself to dream.
To dream a dream the size of an American Dream.
Never allowed myself to dream a dream of my wildest dreams.

Because I didn't know what that was.
Because I didn't know who I was.

Thinking about it now, I have a very different perspective.

I still fully believe that the 'American Dream achievement plan' that has been seared into my brain since childhood of being 'self-made' and 'pulling yourself up by the bootstraps [without help from anyone]' is not a viable plan for more than a sliver of the population.

So, yes, if using that approach, the American Dream for many folks is impossible. It is a pipe dream.

However - 

If you change your approach you will always change your outcome.

These days, I believe the American Dream really can be achieved by everyone. But they have to find the route that works best to get there.

And, perhaps even more importantly, they need to be clear on where 'there' is - for them.

Everyone's dream is different.
Everyone's dream is valid.
Everyone's dream is possible.

When we pair knowledge of self and what tugs at our heart with knowledge of the thoughts and approaches that feel and work best, nothing can keep us from what we find truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.