Saturday, December 3, 2022

Day 288: Commitment

Commitment is scary. 
It can feel binding. It can feel permanent.
I feel it myself. I saw it yesterday at work. We see it all around us.

What if I change my mind?
What if I made the wrong decision?
What if I can't do it? 
What if I fail? 
What if I want to quit?

What if the point of commitment wasn't the act or task you've signed up for at all?

What if the point of commitment is in solidifying a goal, want, or desire for oneself? 

What if commitment is really just a structured prioritization tool?
"I have to keep going/do 'X' because I made a commitment."

How any times do our commitments start to feel like obligations?

We make commitments because something is important to us. At least on some level. 

We make commitments because they do something for us.
We gain something from them. We get some sort of need or want met.

But the day we forget WHY we made the commitment, is the day we start to feel restricted by the commitment.

Commitments are not rigid and they are not static. They have the capacity to grow with us. And they require us to become aware of our own growth and how things may need to be adjusted in order to fill the shapes our lives now hold.

Change is constant. 
Life doesn't stop.
Some commitments will last forever, others will transform into something new. 
There is no one way - or right way - to fill a particular commitment. 
There are infinite ways.
The tricky part is not in keeping a commitment, but in navigating the way that works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.