Thursday, December 15, 2022

Day 300: Tamagotchi Bodies


"Wow, it's so crazy that I'm in charge of taking care of this body
- and it has to last me my whole life!
Who let me have that responsibility?!"


I remember exactly when my friend, Elsa, shared these thoughts. 

Well - more or less, when - I know it was some time between 2013 - 2016.
And, ok, those might not have been her exact words, but they capture the same sentiment.

This sentiment was one I had never before encountered. So, naturally, it really stood out to me.

Sure, we have bodies and we are living, breathing, things. But the connection had never really been made that part of this living was taking care of the vessel that carries us around. Taking care of our bodies.

Immediately, Giga Pets and Tamagotchis came into mind (the virtual pet toys that were all the rage during my elementary and middle school years).

It's pretty much the same concept, if you think about it.
During those preteen years, I witnessed many friends relish the ability to raise and care for these fake pets on an itty-bitty screen. (I never had one.)

[Annoying alert sounds] "Oh, it's hungry! Time to feed him!!"

It was a drop-everything-you're-doing-or-else sort of infatuation.
Because if you didn't, it could end up in death - of your
Tamagotchi/Giga Pet.

I feel like we could do well to think of ourselves, our bodies, the very things that allow us to sustain life, the same way.

If we don't stop what we are doing to take care of ourselves, we will die.
Albeit, slowly, but still. 

I also think of real, living pets. Say, a dog, for instance.
Most pet owners wouldn't get a dog and then only feed it garbage.
They wouldn't get a dog and then never take it outside to play or go on walks.
Most pet owners wouldn't get a dog and then neglect it when they saw signs of pain, limping, sickness or other things out of the ordinary.

And yet, as humans, we do this to ourselves all of the time.

I think it's easy to forget that we also are animals that need caring for.
The only difference is, we're providing that care for ourselves.

Regardless of where it's coming from, the importance and need remains the same; just as when we were babies and others cared for us. Over time, we were unceremoniously (and often invisibly) passed the torch to carry on this same care for ourselves.
Because we are now able to do so.

But we often don't. 

The baby is crying, the dog is barfing, the tamigotchi or giga pet is hungry.
We take note. We stand at attention. We do what needs to be done.

I'm crying, I feel sick or 'off,' I'm hungry (likely in more than just a physical aspect).
We often feel the need to put off our own care, seeing other things or other people as higher priorities.

Here's the thing - we can't live if we're not alive.
And we can't come alive if we aren't nurtured.

We CAN experience fulfillment and delight, just as our pre-teen-hearted selves did when caring for our electronic pets in their tiny screen homes. 

We CAN experience ourselves as happy and thriving - and doing cute things that melt our own hearts, as if we, too, lived in a Tamagotchi world.

This and more is possible - and it starts and ends with us.

What in your world is needing your own attention?
Perhaps it's time to give yourself the nurturing you need and deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.