Thursday, December 8, 2022

Day 293: Look for the proof

Transformations take time.

Change takes time.

And sometimes, it's easy to miss it entirely. Going completely unaware to the shifts that are taking root.

Take my beloved - yet elusive - beaver at North Pond.
I've seen it's art over the past few months, but I didn't think it had been further improved upon.
I made the assumption that things were exactly the same from when I first noticed them.
But this morning, something made me pause to check.

"Is that tree looking even more whittled down than last time I was here??"
Believe it or not I'd been absent for at least a week.

Then I went through the whole back and forth of believing myself and the intangible force that stopped me and doubting my inclinations. 

So, I decided to look for the proof.

I searched my phone pics until I came upon the first documentation I had of the chewed on tree:
October 29th.

It was now December 7th. [Busted - I wrote this yesterday! 😜]

The proof was in the pudding. Behold!

Left image: Oct. 29    |    Right image: Dec 7

Indeed, work had been done.

It seemed in just over a month, this tree was rapidly approaching Felling Day.

This is a good illustration of the importance of proof.
Not in the literal sense to prove something actually did or did not happen.
But in the sense that it is easy to gaslight ourselves, doubting or questioning our own thoughts and intuition.

Proof gives us an objective lens to view things from.
Granted, we need to be seeking information rather than a specific answer.

If I hadn't sought proof via a past photo I had taken, I would have likely settled on the thought that I was imagining things and the tree had always been that chewed up. When in fact, that wasn't the case at all.

Proof helps us to strengthen our trust in ourselves and our intuitive connections.
It's easy to shut down the random ideas that pop into our heads. The more we do this the more we block our own line of communication within ourselves.

And communicating with ourselves is important!
As Plato (and I'm sure many after him) once said,
"thinking is the talking of the soul with itself."

If we can't talk with ourselves, then we can't listen either. And listening is the core of everything.

So, next time you find yourself uncertain by your own thoughts do yourself a favor - get out of your head and look for the proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.