Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Day 284: Sadness = missing details

Sadness* is too vague for me.
As someone who requires a lot of details in order to more fully understand something, sadness is my least favorite emotion.

Obviously, it doesn't produce the most desired feelings in the world. But that's not the main reason it ranks last for me. It's because it's the hardest emotion for me to sort through and understand.

I used to think disappointment was my least favorite emotion. But once I learned that disappointment is just unmet or misplaced expectations, it's power has significantly diminished.

The more I think about sadness, however, the more I recognize that it is more of a catch-all, holding cell term [at least for me]. Perhaps it's because sadness is such a catabolic energy level that it's hard to shift into a different perspective to gain more information. Because that sort of movement requires energy, and there's already very little energy to to be had (when experiencing sadness).

But once extra energy is gained and insights, perspective shifts, and greater understanding have been achieved, sadness starts to transform. It no longer has a blobby, heavy, undefined form. 

As it comes into focus, it actually has a very clear form - and it's not sadness at all (or purely)! But rather, it's a mix of emotions that had previously been entangled with each other. And now the loose ends are visible and it's possible to separate them from each other. With this separation comes a lifting and calming feeling. And that's something I can always get on board with!

So what's the moral here? I guess it's that there's always a deeper reason for everything. And if you're struggling to see it and can't figure it out, it might be worth enlisting the help of a trusted friend and confidant.
.... I know someone with years of sewing experience, which means she can help you untangle any knot!

And also, it's ok to feel sad. There's a time and place for everything in life. And everything serves a purpose.

*Please note, I am not talking about clinical depression

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.