Friday, November 11, 2022

Day 266: Hooded Water Magician

I'm sure you can guess by now, the location where the story I'm about to share took place.

On the count of three...
- One
- Two
- Three

North Pond
!

Right on schedule for my routine nature outing.
Today, however, it was something in the water that caught my eye.

A unique duck.

I've seen it for the past few weeks, but never up close. 

I still didn't get close, but I did watch it dive for a while. And during that time I became very, very confused.

This grayish-brown crested duck submerged and returned a time or two. And when it came up the third time, it looked completely different!

It's brown head was now black and white!
What the heck?!

It dove again.
It emerged, back to brown - huh?!

It dove again.
Black and white.
How is this possible?!?!

Dives.
Brown.
What is going on???!!!!?!?!?

It disappears once more - and then,



Hooded Merganser pair - male & female
https://www.metroparks.net/blog/birds-birds-everywhere-in-your-metro-parks/

Two ducks emerge. 
One brown.
One black and white.

They sure did trick me!
But, what a delightful confusion!
I couldn't help but chuckle as a big smile spread across my face - and stayed there for the entirety of my walk.

Thanks, ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.