Sunday, November 20, 2022

Day 275: New best compliment

I received my new best compliment, ever, on Friday night.

I was at my friend Bre's house and she made a comment about how my aura is most definitely bright white. 

She started to explain. 
"You know, like angels - that angelic vibe." 

Not feeling satisfied with her explanation she continued. 

"You are like what Care Bears shoot out of their stomachs." 
Just pure good stuff.

Wow. Did I just get compared to a Care Bear?! 
A show I absolutely LOVED as a child?!

It was with this very specific imagery that I got a clear glimpse, for the first time ever, of what those who are close to me see all the time and I (apparently) fail to see.

Wow. This was . . . kind, sweet, unexpected? 
I don't think I had words to describe what it felt like to hear that and try on a new perspective to view myself.

I think I felt a swell of many emotions all at once. Appreciation, being the only specific feeling coming to mind, now. 

I recall feeling great appreciation for my friend. 
Appreciation for her willingness to take the time to express her sentiments.
Appreciation for her sentiments.
And appreciation for her seeing me. For seeing the core parts of me that I am blind to, and reflecting them back.

Why am I sharing all this?
Because I'm practicing vulnerability through sharing, duh.

But, I am also sharing this as a reminder that we are all so much greater and more valuable than we allow ourselves to believe.

We make a difference in people's lives - just by being in it.
And we exude our unique essence in all that we do.
Yet, we are blind to ourselves - despite seeing ourselves every day. 
It's as if with that familiarity comes a type of autopilot, in which our sight lessens.

It is with this in mind that I will repeat sentiments, of not so long ago, around the topic of giving compliments.

May we strive to really see the people we surround ourselves with - and then be brave enough to share it with them.

 Does it come as a surprise to anyone that my favorite Care Bear was Cheer Bear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.