Saturday, November 5, 2022

Day 260: World Change

I wasn't sure what to write today, so I thought I'd pick a quote and share some thoughts on it.

I went to the Quotes & Phrases note in my phone where I collect quotes and phrases that resonate with me.

This is what jumped out:

The world doesn't change, you change.

Wow.
That's a big one.
Do I really want to share my thoughts on this one . . . ?

On the micro level, I can easily get on board with this.
As one's view of, and relationship with, oneself changes, one's perception of the world will also reflect such changes.

But on the macro level it becomes a bit harder . . .
One could argue, "if the world doesn't change, then why are there things like crime, radical politics, and racism becoming more and more prevalent?"

My answer to this question (which, full disclosure, only formed as I was typing the question) would be:

Not all personal changes are for the better.
Furthermore, not all personal changes are intentional.

Think about the world in which we live. A world where the general population is not taught the importance of self-knowledge.
Sure, knowing history and math is important, but if we can't function and navigate life in our internal world, do these things really matter?

If we can't discern our own wants and needs from the pressures and rules our society creates and tries to place upon us, it's a safe bet we're going to struggle, eventually. And our communities will reflect this.

Take our current Social Media Epidemic - yeah, I'm going there.
Depression, anxiety, and feelings of 'otherness' and isolation are on the rise. Meanwhile, self-esteem, self-worth, and strong emotional connection are on the steep decline. 

Change - of any kind - is an inside job.
Change - on any scale - starts on the individual level.

We are all agents of change - positive, negative, neutral. 

When you really look at the act of change, there is only the micro.
Change is the raindrop in the pond. We are the raindrops.
The ripples are the effect - the macro - what's visible and reflected to others.

So yeah, I'm on board with this quote no matter how I look at it.
And I'm glad I was willing to explore it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.