Thursday, February 10, 2022

Day 17: Missing Turtle

In my second year of living in Chicago, I discovered that my dwelling, once again, was located near a giant cemetery. My roommate, who had grown up in the neighborhood, told me about it. And boy did she give a great review!

"The cemetery is really pretty! It's huge - and there are several large ponds. It's really beautiful and peaceful there."

I needed no further convincing.

My older sister was coming into town for a brief visit, what better bonding activity than exploring an estate housing hundreds of dead people?! Having known me my whole life, such a suggestion sparked hardly any reaction from her, "cool, let's do it. I've never been there before."

So my sister and I, along with my best friend Josh, set out to explore this magnificent cemetery.

As we neared the entrance we spotted what looked like a missing poster, attached to a pole on the side of the road. Upon closer investigation, we saw it was indeed a missing poster, but not the kind we anticipated.

"Oohh, that's so sad!" we collectively murmured, each imagining the child the turtle must belong to.

The cemetery was now directly in front of us - and it looked Beautiful! We eagerly entered, looking everywhere to make sure we didn't miss anything (at least I did). 

We'd only walked a short distance when we all stopped in our tracks. We could see the first pond just up ahead, which may have made our discovery all the more sad.

On the ground before us we saw a turtle shell, an empty turtle shell.

 
Immediately our minds went to the Missing poster we saw on our way in . . .

 
   . . . I think we found the missing turtle . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.