Friday, January 20, 2023

Day 336: Identity Shift

Over the past year I've experienced a lot of transitions.
All have been relational.
Which makes sense, as relationships are the defining feature of being human; who we are and how we are in relation to others - and to ourselves.

Without a doubt, the majority of my growth has been internal and has greatly impacted (and enhanced) my relationship with myself -

  • Shifting the ways I think and perceive things (move over judgement, you're blocking the view!).
  • Shifting the beliefs I operate under and consciously choose to follow.
  • Expanding my awareness - of others and myself through thoughts, emotions, body, and soul/spirit.
  • Challenging how I view myself and my identity.

Identity is a weird thing because it is completely made up, completely self-imposed.

Sometimes the labels we wear are chosen by us, sometimes they are chosen by others. But regardless of who chooses them, if we associate them with who we are (love them or hate them) - we are, in essence, accepting them.

This is much easier in cases where we like or want the label.

But it's a quite different feeling when the label you find loitering around you more and more frequently is one you don't want; is one you judge strongly.

Wait a second - I thought you said identity is self-imposed?
If that's the case, then why would anyone accept a label they don't want or that they judge strongly?

Because the words used to express the meaning of something (i.e. a label) do not always match up with the individual's definition or interpretation of that word. 

For example, as I alluded to on Day 331, I am finding myself at odds with the labels of 'Religious' and 'Spiritual' that seem to keep popping up on my radar. 

You see, I have some pretty biased and judgemental views of these terms; the first images coming to mind being a Bible-quoting-hypocrite and an Out-of-touch-with-reality-'manifest-away-your-problems'-self-proclaimed-authority, respectively.

Yikes, you weren't lying. Those are are super judgy associations!

I know.

But the good news is, I don't have to continue on with these associations and judgements if I don't want to. 

I don't have to feel at odds with a word. 

When framed that way, it sounds quite silly. Identity, labels - they're just words

Words used to convey a bigger picture and meaning.

So, to help facilitate my impending identity shift, I can choose to work on the following:

  1. Get real with myself about the meaning I am assigning these words to have - and what that meaning says about me.

  2. Educate myself more about what these words mean from a neutral perspective. Just like how I learned the other half of the meaning of amateur, recently.

  3. Refine my own definition for these words. Come to an understanding of them that resonates and works for me - or find/come up with new words entirely.

Identity is self-imposed.

We get to decide if it feels good or if it feels bad.

It's our life - let's enjoy living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.