Friday, September 23, 2022

Day 224: Giant Steps are Stressful

I've been experiencing a stress streak, lately.
It started out so subtly, at first, I didn't even realize it was there - and growing.

It took recognizing that I was now baking on a nightly basis - and had been for weeks - to finally question myself:

'...oh, this isn't a good routine to be creating. . . . what's really going on??'


The short answer was avoidance. 

Avoidance of what I was feeling - or afraid of feeling.
Avoidance of what I was thinking - or afraid of thinking.

I had big goals I was supposed to be working towards - establishing myself as an engaging and dynamic public speaker and an impactful coach - and Hazey made sure I didn't forget.

Unfortunately, the reminders I received were only for the ultimate end goal. A goal that can't be achieved at this immediate point in time. Rather than for the small goals I had originally set for myself a few months ago.

Therein lies the problem. And the root of my avoidance - fear of failure.

I was operating under the mindset that the first step is a giant one and had to be done perfectly. That I needed to know how to do everything right now. And I also needed to be a fortune teller to know in advance how everything would turn out.

I don't.

I just need to break things down more.
Break my goals down into much smaller pieces.
Starting with the first step.

"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives."

Daytime American soap opera, Days of Our Lives, knows what's up!
 
Break everything down into tiny pieces - like grains of sand.

It becomes much easier for things to move that way.
And such movement starts with an equally small act.

Showing up.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

We just need to show up and be present in whatever place or task is happening.
We don't need to do anything. 
That comes later.

Then, after we show up, we can take the next tiny step. And the steps will continue to build off of one another. Sometimes progressing way faster than we anticipate, other times moving much slower than we would have liked.

Regardless of the speed, as long as we show up, there will always be movement.
And it is through movement that we shrink stress, avoidance, and fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.