Monday, September 5, 2022

Day 212: Influencing Sarah's World

Sarah's World was undeniably influenced - and inspired - by Bobby's World. 

For those unfamiliar with the cartoon, here's the overview - compliments of Wikipedia:
Bobby's World is an American animated television series. It ran from 1990 to 1998 on FOX Kids. It was set in 1979 in California. It was about the life of Bobby Generic (pronounced JEN-ə-rik) and his imagination on how he sees the world. 

I watched Bobby's World a lot as a child. Which is funny, seeing as I don't really remember much about it, now. But, I guess conscious memories don't really matter when the impact is visible many years later....

What's the impact, you ask?

The most obvious is the desire to share my world - my thoughts, perspectives, struggles and achievements.
 - To share the unique way I interpret things and explore what it would be like if things actually played out as I imagined them.
 - And doing it all in a way that is 100% me. Rather than trying to mimic or match the tone, content, or presentation of others.

But there's more to Bobby's World's impact on me than that. After reading up a bit on the show, I discovered some unexpected similarities - or dare I say, aspirations?

One - The show was based off of Howie Mandel's stand up shows and his character, Bobby.
While I definitely don't have a standup show, I have recently acknowledged and accepted that is a goal I want to work towards.

Two - It focuses on the seemingly mundane or inconsequential, yet addresses big life lessons.

Three - Through the use of grand imagination, the audience is given an opportunity to see the same topics approached from different perspectives.
These differences in perspective show that there is never one way to view or do something, nor is there ever only one side to a story - there are many.

Lastly, in this article/video, Bobby's World has been suggested as the 'Seinfeld for Kids.' 

Wow - fav show from my childhood meets fav show from adulthood?!
I feel like I'm catching a whiff of an uncoincidental coincidence...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.