Sunday, September 11, 2022

Day 215: How to write a joke

This is what I've been trying to figure out practice.

Two weeks ago I started a standup comedy class. And I've had two weeks to complete my one homework assignment, which is to tell a 4 minute personal story.

Sounds simple enough. I'm just telling a short story about an experience that I've had, should be easy!

It should be, but it wasn't. 

It took me the WHOLE two weeks to actually sit down, write out the main points, add extra details of emotion and description, and smooth out transitions. 

If I were to boil down the span of days to see how much time I actually spent working on my assignment, the total would likely clock in at around 4 hours, max.

Isn't it interesting that the things we want and are interested in, we often push off and procrastinate on the most?

At least, I'm finding that's the case for me.

When this happens, it can be hard to make sense of. 
"Does this mean that taking this [standup class / insert your interest here] is not as important to me as I thought?!"

"Maybe it's not really what I'm supposed to be doing..."

One quick way to check in and confirm - or squash - these pesky second guessing thoughts is to think about how you feel when you do the activity in question.

For me, during my first standup class, I was filled with joy.
I'm willing to bet money I had a smile on my face, ear to ear, the whole 3 hour session.
And when we practiced a 2-minute story in class with the microphone, not only did I hold myself back from volunteering to go first, but I loved sharing my story. I relished that my classmates got to relive the surprise I experienced months ago, in real time.
And if that wasn't enough of an indication that this class and what I am learning is, indeed, important to me - I was so jazzed and energized when I went home, I could barely go to sleep!
It felt just like a coaching high.

So, with my interest confirmed - what was holding me back?
- from working on my homework?
- from practicing skills I need and want?
- from trying something new and not-so-familiar?

I'll give you one guess.

fear

When I was totally honest with myself, I was afraid of things not working out.

Afraid that, now that I'm taking steps towards realizing MY dreams, my desire won't be enough.

I won't be enough.

That's right, Hazey was back at it - trying everything she could think of to keep me where I currently am.

The thing is, where I AM is not where I want to BE. And in order to get there, I need to do things I haven't done before. 

The only possible way for me or you or anyone else on the planet to not 'be enough' is if we stop trying. 

As a former coaching client beautifully put it, "I am learning every day."  

And this means that every day we can learn and practice and grow, bit by bit, closer to the dream we have for ourselves.

I will learn how to write a joke - lots of jokes.
But not only that, I will learn to share myself, perspective, and life outlook in an entertaining way that positively impacts others.

What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.