Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Day 218: Own your insults

When I was little my sister called me "bossy" all the time. 
 
I'd constantly be nagging her to pick up her clothes and tidy her belongings in the bedroom we shared for 18 years. 
 
In the moment, I'd get defensive and then combative; feeling bad at the attacking insult yet not willing to change my behavior.
 
I could have carried a chip on my shoulder all through life, adopting the negative energy attached to such a label as "Bossy." Could have believed it was something that was 'wrong with me' or a flaw that 'people will never like.' 
 
But I chose another direction. 
 
It wasn't until later in life that I realized that this "bossiness" was not a negative thing or insult at all. Rather, it was the first emergence of a character trait and powerful skill I would later come to utilize for success. 
 
As I developed awareness of myself and what makes me "me", I was able to see my "bossiness" for what it really was - a gift. 
 
It was my gift of organization. Activated long ago in its purest raw form - unharnessed & unrefined.
 
I mined the insult and label thrust upon me by someone else for the gold it contained; resulting in any hurt or insecurities attached to it to wither away.

That's the power of building your awareness and owning your insults.
Because they are really your strengths, unrefined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.