Sunday, April 10, 2022

Day 75: Foul

I walk into the bathroom at Mayan Palace and am immediately hit with a Smell.

I lock myself in my stall and utter under my breath, "it smells foul in here!"

. . . And then I hear a toilet flush in the stall next to me . . .

--------------------------------------

Did I just transport back in time to 6th grade?!

No? Not quite? 

I suppose that's true, because I would have had to say:

"It smells like Mrs. [Name] in here!"

Then I'd have seen her, immediately after, exit the handicap stall and make eye contact with me in the mirror.

*Shudder*

Not one of my favorite moments.

Why is it that I (and maybe you, too??) feel embarrassed or worried/regretful when I comment on something such as a stinky poop smell in the restroom and then get confirmation that the culprit is still within range?

I didn't say anything 'wrong' or 'mean'. I simply uttered an observation. 

Perhaps it's because the majority of our thoughts about others are really reflections of ourselves. 

I felt embarrassed, worried, regretful to have potentially been heard saying it smelled bad because I would have felt those things if I had been the one to stink it up - And that's without hearing anyone comment on the stench!

Knowing this tidbit - that we all are just responding to our own reflections as we go through life - can be quite helpful. Especially if we flip it! 

There's a very good chance that someone else's response to something or a situation has less to do about you or me and our role in it and more to do with their own perceptions and insecurities.

But back to public restrooms - the reality is EVERYBODY POOPS. And sometimes it doesn't smell the best - especially if you're eating cuisine rooted in beans (me encanta frijoles!!) - but I guess that's just a perk of being human.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.