Sunday, July 17, 2022

Day 166: The things we hate

I never would have guessed that my love of legumes, a stranger's hate of beans, and an online dating app would be the catalyst for a very poignant question discovery.

Why would I try things I hate?


Wow. I had never before had this question even remotely cross my mind.

What IS a situation in which I would retry something I hate?

The answer will be different for every person. But the root of the sentiment, I am willing to bet, will be the same: 
- Learning
- Growth
- Change

Ever disliked something as a child only to find you love it as an adult? (That was me with Seinfeld ....)

Or what about learning that with age comes an updated palate?

To slap a label on something and decide it shall forever remain that way until your dying day, is, in my opinion, a declaration against growth and the journey of life.

With each new phase (and day) of life comes new experiences, insights and learnings. This new information impacts and shifts our previously held views, beliefs and outlook on a large number of things. Often the shifts are so subtle we don't pick up on them.

But when we deliberatly seek out to challenge ourselves we will often be surprised. 

Surprised that we can change.

Surprised that we have changed.

So, I guess, right now my answer to the question is:
I will retry things I 'hate' to see if I still 'hate' them - to see if I have changed or grown, and to better understand and learn from them.

I will retry things I 'hate' when I can approach them from a new perspective.

Because if there is one thing I have learned in the past few years, it's that growth breeds new perspectives.

And perspective is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.