Monday, October 10, 2022

Day 239: Observation Double Standard

I was taking a walk around the pond this morning and stopped to watch a Cardinal in a tree.

While observing him a question crossed my mind.
"Am I spying on a bird right now?"

I love observing the things around me and looking into windows (and through open doors), in particular. 

Others may find looking into other people's windows creepy, thus labeling me a 'creepy,' 'nosy,' or 'spying' (- I'd proudly take that last one).

But is it really any different than watching animals in nature?

I mean, I am looking into their homes (in some capacity).

I wasn't invited.

I'm not imposing.

I'm simply observing.

So why would observation be interpreted differently when it comes to people than it does for animals?

Just something to think about . . . 

I have a feeling it all comes down to intent.

What's the purpose of the observing?
Is it to cause harm to another?
Is it to seek out some sort of gain?
Is it to learn?
Or simply just to enjoyably pass the time?

It will probably depend on the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.