Friday, May 27, 2022

Day 122: Beavers Build Resilience

After my heartbreak from the clean cutting of trees I witnessed the other day, I decided I wanted to enjoy the untouched areas of North Pond while I still can. 

That meant visiting as much as possible - at least the areas of beauty that still brought me the feeling of peace and calm.

At this point, there is roughly half the perimeter to work with. Lucky me, it's the side with the beaver den - which I only just learned the location of.

I had heard rumor of a beaver living in the pond when I first moved to this neighborhood, roughly a year and a half ago. I'd had a few speculative sightings, assuming the identity of the mid-sized creature I saw swimming across the pond that was definitely not a bird. But I never thought I'd see the beaver up close.

Then, one Monday - May 16th to be specific - I saw it! It was hanging out under a tree leaning over the water. In my excitement and desire to gaze upon it for as long as possible, I didn't even chance a picture.

This time, however, was a different story. I GOT MY PROOF!!

 

Do you feel like a nature explorer peering through the trees?! 



Look at the texture on that tail!

For the second time sighting the beaver I was again able to point it out to a few other nature lovers.

By the time nature lovers #4 & #5 joined us, the beaver decided to leave.. Our small group of five, however, stayed a while longer. 

It was consoling to hear from fellow North Pond enthusiasts that they, too, shared in my feelings of surprise, shock, and disappointment in how the restoration was unfolding.

We all felt a bit duped by how the project had been presented. Clearly, the message had not been received as it was intended. 

While the shadows of concern and dismay were strong, something else began to poke through the darkness.

Resilience.

The reminder that animals live by their instincts. If they are unable to get what they need in one area, their biology will instinctively move them to a place that they can. Or at least they will set off in search of such a place.

The same is true of us - humans. 

While we may not always use it or be as attuned to it as others, we all have instincts and intuition that can guide us. No matter what the situation or circumstance, we possess the navigation system needed to move us to an area that will provide us what we need.

This doesn't mean it will be easy - or automatic - especially, if we don't have a clear idea of what 'what we need' really is. 

But with intent, time, and effort we'll know ourselves like we know the back of our hands! And navigating to new areas that will provide for us better than our current place and circumstances will become the new 'autopilot'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.