Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Day 107: Art Lessons

I found myself reading a Brenden Williams Creative article on photography skills after receiving compliments on some photos I had taken.

Really, I was trying to answer -
"do photographers have an eye for a lot of compositions but only some of them turn out how they want?"

Finding this answer would provide validation for the frustration I've experienced in seeing a great shot and not being able to capture it as intended.

It would serve as a means of permission to even consider that I am, in fact, a photographer. That I could give myself that label. That it didn't need to come from someone else.

As I read on, this section really jumped out at me:

If you are just taking photos without any reasoning behind it, then you’re guaranteed to plateau. To improve as a photographer and develop your eye, define a purpose for why you’re taking a picture.

Why are you shooting this subject? Why are you framing the photo in this way? Why are you focused on the foreground rather than the background?

All these little choices you make when taking a picture should be intentional. With creative purpose, you’re in control of your photography and will start to see improvements. If you just take pictures without any intention, then how are you supposed to get better?

After all, if you don’t know what you’re trying to achieve, you can’t develop your photographic eye. Your eye for photography is built from intention; defining a purpose for the why’s of your image will help to improve your creative vision.

--Whoa--
I know I'm reading about photography, but am I reading about photography right now?!
Because I think I just got coached!

Did you get it??! Give it another read after we change a few words...

Define A Purpose Behind Your Choices

If you are just making choices without any reasoning behind it, then you’re guaranteed to plateau. To improve your life and develop your perspective, define a purpose for why you’re making a choice.

Why are you focusing on this subject? Why are you framing the choice in this way? Why are you focused on the foreground rather than the background?

All these little considerations you take when making a choice should be intentional. With creative purpose, you’re in control of your life and will start to see improvements. If you just make choices without any intention, then how are you supposed to get better?

After all, if you don’t know what you’re trying to achieve, you can’t develop your life perspective. Your perspective for life is built from intention; defining a purpose for the why’s of your choices will help to improve your creative vision.

In total, only 3 word meanings were changed:

photo(s)/picture --> choice(s)
photographer/photography/photographic  --> [your] life
eye --> perspective

and only 3 words were changed for context and grammatical correctness. 

[taking -> making]
[shooting -> focusing on]
[choices -> considerations]

And yet, the meaning, really, remains the same.

This is a great example of how intention and understanding of why you do things you do (and who you do them for) directly impacts everything in life. 

Whether it's a hobby, a profession, a life outlook, or a phase of life, the intent you have when making your choices will always shape your perspective and how you experience life.

So, in answering my own question that led to finding this article - Yes.
Photographers don't always get the intended shot every time.

So, am I a photographer?
Again, Yes.

I take photos with the purpose to capture and convey an intentional perspective.
And I create my life perspective through deliberate and considered choice.

Anyone looking for a mantra???^^^ Just kidding (mostly).

Being deliberate and considerate with all of my choices in life will always be a practice. But overtime it will feel second nature, just like the elevated life satisfaction that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.