Friday, September 23, 2011

Randoms

- Twice now I’ve seen women walking around balancing giant knives on their heads as they walk along. Now it’s not uncommon to see women carrying an array of different items on their heads, but machete-like knives was a bit of a shock to me. . . I wish I could have snapped a picture without being obvious; it really was a sight to see . . .

- I had my first language lesson on Monday. I was surprised to notice that my teacher, Ali, had blue eyes. Not that I was staring deeply into them or anything (b/c that would be creepy) but I was looking him in the eye as he was explaining something. I just assumed his eyes were brown but when I really ‘looked’ at them they looked funny. Then I realized it was because they were blue!

- On Sunday Katie, Annette, and I were walking down to Main Street and I saw a lady holding a plastic bag with a live chicken in it, its head popped out of the opening. I thought it was funny.

- Last week I met two of the tailors I will be working with to help create items to sell at an upcoming craft fair on November 19 in Kampala. Florence was the first. She, I found out, had been through the last sewing class and was now making little dresses/women’s tops to sell in one of the café gift shops. The other tailor’s name was Sarah. I was excited to meet her because she plays a huge role in execution of the sewing classes and I had read a lot about her before I ever came over. I found out that she has been sewing for over 30 years, learning the trade in 1978. Then a year later she started up her own business and has been going ever since. Not only does she teach others and have her own business, but she is also the pastor at her church. Talk about a busy woman! Lucky for me we share the same name – totally got me bonus points in her book when we met. That same day I also met Irene, the gift shop manager (or owner, I can’t remember which) at The Source Café (our office is right behind it).

- And lastly we have a new addition to our home: TWO LITTLE PUPPIES!!! They are super cute and look a lot like Muffin. Their names are Fergus (short for Ferguson, which I love) and Liam. Lori is going to keep Liam but Fergus is just hanging out with us for a few weeks. Though they are little sprinklers they’re so gosh darn cute it’s hard to stay mad at them!

1 comment:

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.