Friday, September 23, 2011

Another Initiation

Apparently you haven’t really experienced Jinja, Uganda until you’ve had the pleasure of a power outage. When these occur it’s hard to say how long it will last. I’ve heard the usual duration is a day or two but you never can tell. My first time finally came Thursday night. To prove that this was a big deal in my small steps towards becoming familiar in the country I was given a hi-five just for experiencing it.

The power stayed off until the next morning and then went off again an hour later until mid- afternoon. During this time I observed how clever Katie and Lori can be when coursed with providing their own entertainment. Katie started off by playing with the candles and decorating the holders with the melted wax. Lori on the other hand showed off her artistic abilities by dominating a Baby Animals Coloring Book. These activities combined with a brief conversation about whether each of us would choose to have an extremely large chin or a barely existent chin made for a very entertaining evening (at least to me).

Oh! AND I’ve decided Smokey and Charcoal (our ‘guard’ dogs) have decided to put me through the test as well. Smokey keeps sneaking in the house, hiding under the dining room table, and refusing to come out when I tell him to (of course Lori and Katie can get him out no problem). Then, late last week I had moved a chair outside to work in the fresh air and Charcoal comes up and starts peeing on it!! I tried to get him to stop as fast as I could, unfortunately it didn’t do much good. I still had to clean up a chair covered with urine. Wow, thanks boys, I’m enjoying our time together too . . . (aside from these instances I really am though, those punks).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.