Monday, September 19, 2011

Business Class

Right now it is the business class that is taking priority in terms of the vocational programs we’re working on. When I arrived Katie and Julius were about half way through the business course they were teaching in a nearby village, so for the rest of the class I am just observing.

Because of the focus on teaching the women basic business skills, the Sewing Hope classes have been put on hold for the time being. I quickly realized after going to the business class (and reading various pieces of literature and case studies) how vital it is to make sure the students know to manage and track their money once they have vocational skills they want to exploit. I will be helping with the next round of business classes later this year and also be creating a foundational sewing curriculum to be used in future Sewing Hope classes (apparently they didn’t have one before).

The pictures you see were taken during some of the business classes. We all cram into a small room of someone’s house (I’m not sure who) and run class from there. I heard that originally they were holding class outside but fleas soon became an issue. Given the alternative, I’m totally down with cozying up in a tiny room.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.