Wednesday, January 26, 2022

365 Days of Wonder: Vol 2 - Day 2

 Stray Bullet [coffee]

. . . a true story . . . 


It's morning. That mean's breakfast and coffee time.

"What are we eating today?" asked Stomach with a gurgle.

"Buttered English muffin!" cheered Brain and Tongue together.

Hands was already hard at work, toasting the muffins and pulling out the salted butter that Tongue loves so much.

- Pop! goes the toaster - The muffins are ready. 

"Hurry up, Hands, while it's hot so the butter gets all melty!" urged Tongue.

"Can't you see, I'm working on it?!" Hands shot back with irritation.

"WEEE can!" Eyes chimes out in unison.

Hands gets back to the task of buttering the muffin, then all of a sudden lets out a cry.

"Ahhhhhhh!"

"What happened?! Is everything ok??" everyone else asked as they gathered quickly around in concern.

"It -The . . .it was the . . . the butter!" Hands squeaks out. "It just shot off the knife like a stray bullet! ...Does anyone see it?"

heeheeheehee - a mysterious giggle seemed to be coming from the coffee cup.

Before it was too late, Eyes spots the butter before completely melting into the cup of coffee (clearly relishing the warmth like personal hot tub).

Everyone was silent, not sure how to proceed after what they just witnessed. And then Brain spoke. 

"Looks like we're having bullet coffee today." And with a universal shrug, that was that.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Believe it or not, this REALLY did happen to me the other morning! I was so surprised!!

At first I was upset ('I didn't intend to put butter in my coffee! what a terrible thing to happen, what a mess up!' [dramatized]). But then I shifted my perspective and thought about how this might actually be something that could benefit me or allow opportunities I wouldn't otherwise have had ('well, I hear bullet coffee is supposed to give you an extra boost and somehow is 'good' for you ... so maybe I really needed that this morning.')

This sort of shift in thinking, even when illustrated with a silly example, can be applied by anyone to any situation. It takes practice to be open to embracing things outside of what we have planned, but when we are able to do this we reduce stress, increase feelings of ease and have access to the world in new ways than we otherwise would. Plus, it makes for a WAY better story - adding an unexpected twist, rather than complaining about something going wrong.

Also, let the record show - I drank that stray bullet coffee and had a really great, energized day. I swear - I can't make this stuff up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! If you know someone else who might be interested in this post, please share.